Hurricane Resources

Most of us have been impacted by a severe storm at one point or another in our lives, and while even the best meteorologists can’t predict when, where, how, or if one will strike, we all can do more to protect ourselves ahead of the storm. As always, stay tuned to your local government agency websites and news channels for additional information.

NCR Housing Foundation LogoNC REALTORS® Housing Foundation

NC REALTORS® Housing Foundation, the charitable arm of NC REALTORS®, serves the community by providing affordable housing opportunities and supporting those whose housing has been impacted from natural disasters. Learn more about the Foundation’s disaster relief efforts at




A Disaster Recovery Plan,” by REALTOR® Mag

American Red Cross (Get Help page)

Register for Federal Assistance

FEMA Disaster Assistance

FEMA: What to Expect After Registering for Disaster Assistance

NC Department of Insurance “NC Hurri Claims” (helps locate available, affordable rental housing)

Housing Assistance Council Natural Disaster Guide

North Carolina Department of Public Safety

NC Counties Emergency Management Agencies

NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services


  • The federal government offers insurance for direct flood and flood-related damage under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
  • Homewners insurance policies do NOT cover flood or rising water damage.
  • Some mobile home policies do provide flood coverage; check with your insurance agent or company to see if you’re covered.
  • Some auto insurance policies may cover damage to your vehicle; check with your insurance agent or company to see if your vehicle is covered.
  • Regulatory authority over NFIP flood insurance policies rests with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, not with the NC Department of Insurance.
  • Visit to access storm-related insurance information and disaster assistance resources.

If I have storm damage, what should I do?

  • Contact your insurance agent or company as soon as possible to arrange a visit from an adjuster.
  • Before doing any repairs to your home, photograph and make a list of the damage.
  • Protect your home from further damage by making temporary repairs only. Save any receipts for materials purchased for temporary repairs.
  • Do not have permanent repairs made until your insurance company has inspected your property, and you have reached an agreement on the cost of repairs.

If you HAVE flood insurance:

  • Contact your insurance agent or company to file a claim.
  • Document your damaged property.
  • File a Proof of Loss with your insurer within 60 days of the flood.
  • Call the NFIP Call Center at 888-379-9531 for questions and assistance.

If you DON’T have flood insurance:

  • Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 to apply for individual assistance and explore resources in your area (or visit

How can I avoid being a victim of a scam?

  • Always deal with licensed insurance companies, agents and adjusters. Ask to see identification or call the Department of Insurance to check license status.
  • Do not sign any blank application or claims forms.
  • Don’t pay in cash for repairs; keep all your records and proof of payments.
  • Contact the NCDOI Criminal Investigations Division if you suspect someone of running a scam or defrauding the public so they can be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
  • Call 888-680-7684 or visit

Filed Under: